JOB BRIEF: The Lead Maintenance is responsible for maintaining the physical integrity of the property at all times. This involves insuring a safe and secure living environment for residents, visitors, and staff. It is the Lead Maintenance’s duty to anticipate, identify and correct any and all problems involving the property and to implement procedures that will prevent such problems. An effective program of maintenance is essential in order to:
-Maintain a safe environment
-Cultivate resident satisfaction
-Protect the investment of the apartment property owner
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs maintenance tasks personally or delegates to assistants. Oversees and occasionally inspects work performed by assistants.
- Institutes and manages system for handling resident work orders. Corrects situations within 24 hours when possible.
- Schedules maintenance personnel in conjunction with the Property Manager so that maintenance is available for emergency purposes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Conducts regularly scheduled safety meetings with entire staff. Maintains and communicates HAZCOM standards, keeps MSDS sheets current and readily accessible.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing property storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and refrigerants.
- Must be aware of the condition of physical property throughout the property and immediately correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights.
- Maintains accurate records regarding preventive maintenance, work orders (received and completed), expenditures, apartment make-ready status, and work-in-progress.
- Schedules and performs minor and routine maintenance on all appropriate equipment on a regular basis. Inspects and maintains all tools in excellent condition.
- Indoctrinates and assists in development of all subordinate maintenance staff. Instills a "safety first" attitude, not only with the Assistant Maintenance position, but with the entire maintenance staff.
- Instructs staff on proper use and guidelines for wearing safety items.
- Diagnoses and performs minor and routine maintenance/repair involving the following on a daily basis.
Electrical and plumbing (including water lines).
A/C and heating systems.
Appliances (when applicable).
Water irrigation systems.
Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings.
Tile, carpet, flooring.
Roofing, gutters, fasteners.
Fireplaces, ceiling fans.
Gas fixtures and appliances (where applicable).
Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors.
Boiler, gas and electric.
Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks.
Security systems (where applicable).
Pool areas, tile, Jacuzzi, pool furniture.
- Ensures that all make-ready repairs and services are completed correctly and on schedule.
- Reports all major repairs and requisitions to the Property Manager prior to any expenditure of funds.
- Changes locks and makes keys.
- Removes and transfers heavy appliances and equipment from storage area to apartment (or vice versa) as circumstances warrant. Assists in moving abandoned furniture, appliances, etc., to dumpster when necessary.
- Maintains adequate inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials to handle most common repairs and situations.
- Identifies all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, sewer cleanouts and prepares maps indicating same.
- Performs work area clean-up and safety related duties.
- Ensures that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
- Assists in keeping grounds neat and free of litter. Rakes, sweeps, shovels as circumstances warrant.